The Guardian reported that Twitter has acknowledged it gave a fake Cormac McCarthy account, labeled “CormacMcCrthy,” the blue check mark, which is meant to verify that an account of public interest is authentic. McCarthy, author of The Road, No Country for Old Men, and other works including plays, is known to be reclusive. The fake account managed to gain verification without the usual requirement of either uploading valid ID or proving that an official website links to the account.
Find more news and stories of interest from the book world in Breaking in Books.
Also In This Story Stream
- Teens in Pennsylvania Created a Fundraiser to Counteract Book Banning
- 8 Year Old Published Book About How A Turtle Got Its Shell
- Percy Jackson Author Speaks Out Against Racist Complaints Over Casting
- A Pennsylvania School District’s Proposed Book Challenge Policy is Plagiarized From Texas’s
- The Winners of the 2022 Pulitzer Prize Have Been Announced
- Boston Public Library Is Now Hosting 1-Hour Wedding Ceremonies for $200
- WNDB Campaign to Send Care Packages to LGBTQIA+ Kids and How You Can Help
- Florida Public School Cancels Free Online Math and Reading Services Because of Bill
- Meet the Stars of Percy Jackson and the Olympians on Disney+
- Here’s the New Trailer for Game of Thrones Spin-Off House of the Dragon