The original novel follows Anne Elliot eight years after her family convinced her to break off her engagement to Frederick Wentworth. Now that Anne’s family is renting to Frederick’s sister and her husband, Anne and Frederick are thrust back together and Anne is second-guessing her decision years back. While her family wants her to marry William, a cousin who will inherit her father’s estate, she has to decide what she wants for herself.
Although the story seems to mostly follow Austen’s posthumously published novel, the tone of the Persuasion trailer is more humorous, even showing Johnson breaking the fourth wall.
Persuasion premiers on Netflix July 15.
Find more news and stories of interest from the book world in Breaking in Books.
Also In This Story Stream
- $90M Batgirl Movie Canceled
- Library Stormed by Proud Boys During Drag Queen Story Hour Starts Year of “Every Month is Pride” Events
- New Survey Shows How Americans’ Reading Habits Changed from Childhood
- Man Sentenced to 16 Years for $3M Book Scam
- Sell Books in Paradise: Luxury Resort Hiring “Barefoot Bookseller”
- Barack Obama’s 2022 Summer Reading List
- Pennsylvania School Board Voting On “Draconian” Book Ban Policy
- Lafayette Librarian Threatened with Firing for Opposing Censorship
- I Choose You!…To be a Pokémon Archivist: Pokémon Company Seeks Archivist
- 2022 World Fantasy Awards Finalists Announced